Sunday, February 19, 2012

Another Part Of Me

 

DSC_1289

This post is dedicated to my son, Devin Troy (Photo above)

I’ve thought many times through out my life about writing my memoirs. I actually attempted it many years ago and would proof read my manuscripts with my proud mother. Unfortunately my desk top crashed and I never again had the incentive until more recently my brother Charlie begged me basically to write, write, write.

My problem is always where to begin and WHY? I mean, come on what am I writing about. What is the signifigance of my story when I haven’t even found it for my own life? Yet, I do feel that I have met awkward, challenging, rewarding and even sad times worth sharing my insight and experiences.

What first comes to mind is a night several years ago when my son Devin had to be around 10 years old. He was spending the night with me and woke me up in the middle of the night to have one of the most deep conversations we had had up to this time from his inquisitive, growing little mind. “Daddy, Daddy”, he woke me. Then he proceeded once he got my complete attention, “Do you think I was born for a reason? I’ve always felt since as early as I can remember that I am special and have a purpose”.

When I think about his little eyes, wide awake, it had to be 3 or 4 am. He was so serious and heartfelt. We talked about this for quite an hour or two. And I fueled his belief that he was a gift to this world and could be any thing he wanted to be, do any thing he wanted to do if he excercised the power he most definitely possesses. The truth is, I believe whole heartedly, we all possess this ability. My Aunt June told me the same thing once when I was probably about the same age one starry night.

When my son spoke to me in this way, it choked me up. It chokes me up to this day, the thought of my little boy having this awakening. I felt life came full circle once again. He was growing mentally and coming in to his own as we all do. I pried him for serious influences. I wasn’t shocked to hear him say things like Mommy, Granny and me, but I dug deeper and was amazed that my 10 year old child had a fascination with Ronald Reagan. A President of the United States years before his time. “What do you know about President Reagan?”, I explored expecting him to answer without much to give, yet he amazed me with a deep history lesson on Reagan-omics.

“But Devin, are family are Democrats and Reagan was a Republican”, I educated him. Yet, he debated that he was different, “I’m ‘Special’ though, remember Daddy”.

As life goes on, the older I have gotten, I find that we are all individually unique. Never one in the same just one of our friends, family members or other living influences. We are naturally sponges of experience and environment.

No comments: